HOW TO USE:
Worbla comes in sheets and in most cases Worbla is used in combination with a thin layer of EVA foam sandwiched between two layers of Worbla. This can be accomplished by going through the following steps:
- First create a pattern from your body with ducttape or paper masking tape or use a pre-existing pattern.
- Trace the pattern on to a piece of thin EVA foam (usually about 3mm thick) and cut the pattern out of the EVA foam.
- Put your cut out EVA foam on the sheet of Worbla and trace it, but make sure your Worbla is about 1 cm bigger all around than your EVA foam pattern.
- Repeat step 3, because you need 2 layers of Worbla to sandwich your EVA foam pattern in.
- Now that all the patterns are ready to go you can heat up 1 of your 2 Worbla patterns, we advise using a heatgun for this.
- When the Worbla has been heated enough (you can see this when the Worbla becomes less shiny) put the EVA foam on the heated Worbla.
- Heat up your second piece of Worbla and put it on top of your pre-heated Worbla and EVA foam, creating a Worbla sandwich with the EVA foam in between.
- Use your hands to press the Worbla together and shape it to your liking, but be careful because the Worbla should still be hot.
- While it is still hot, you can cut off the excess Worbla from the EVA foam pattern by using scissors.
- Voila, you now have created your first Worbla sandwich and you are ready to take on the world!
- Keep repeating the upper steps untill you have build your entire cosplay armor or prop.
There is also an alternative to the sandwiching method, which is called the folding method. The biggest benefits of using the folding method are savings in materials and weight, because you only need 1 layer of Worbla instead of 2 layers. The biggest difference is that at step 3 you need to make sure your Worbla is about 3-4cm bigger than your EVA foam pattern, because you will be folding these edges around your EVA foam pattern to the back.
After you are finished with building your cosplay armor piece or prop, you can directly start painting on it with Acrylic paint. But for the best results we always recommend priming (and sanding if needed) the Worbla piece first. All of our primers are suitable for using directly on to Worbla.
Worbla is a thermoplastic product developed and produced by the German company Cast4Art. Thermoplastics have been on the market before Worbla, but where mostly used in medical applications. The goal of Cast4Art was giving thermoplastic a new home in the creative industry of theatre, cosplay and other crafts. Making this amazing material available for everyone, it doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or professional, with Worbla anyone is able to create amazing new things. Up to this day Worbla is still the most used and known thermoplastic material in the creative industry and keeps adding different variations of Worbla to the market by listening to it’s costumers. For more info, make sure to check out Worbla.com.